Brougham Hall Owners

 

Date

Owner(s)

Henry 1st reign

William de Burgham

1140 – 85

Odard de Burgham

King John’s Reign

Gilbert de Burgham

?

Ownership divided into 3 due to lack of de Burgham male heirs:

Christina de Burgham

William de Crackenthorpe

Henry Rydin

 

1315

Three shares owned by:

John Godberd

William de Crackenthorpe

Henry de Reddings

 

1345

Three shares owned by:

William de Crackenthorpe

John Tyndal

John Trotter

 

1370-1

John Cuthberd owned one third of the manor

1371

John Fernesyde named as heir to John Cuthberd in his will

1392-3

John de Tyndal and

William de Crackenthorpe holding 1 third share each.

Probably the third share is owned by Thomas Redin

 

1423

Three shares:

John and Katherine de Lancaster

John de Crackenthorpe

Johan Teasdale

 

1435

The de Lancastrian moiety held by William Thorneburgh

1438

The Teasdales part was given to Henry Bird

1440

Thomas Brougham and his wife Joan bought half of Brougham manor from William and Eleanor Thornburgh

1453

John Bird

John Crackenthorpe de Newgiggin

John Burgham

 

1471

The northern manors granted to William and John Parre (Knights)

1475

William Parre licenced to grant ownership to kings Kinsmen:

George Archbishop of York,

John Conyers, knight

John Whelpdale, clerk

Richard Glebra, chaplain

 

1482

John Burgham held a share

1505-6

Three owners are recorded:

John Burgham

John Crackenthorpe

William Bird

 

1526

Christopher Burgham

John Crackenthorpe

William Bird

 

1552

John Brougham on his death held a third of the Manor, which was handed to his eldest son, Henry Brougham (But held in trust by Reynold Warcopp)

1554

Reynold Warcopp held one third of the Manor as guardian of Henry, then 14.

Margaret Crackenthorpe and son John

Henry Bird’s widow

Before 1563

John Crackenthorpe’s mother sells John’ share to James Bird sometime before 1563

1563

Henry Brougham owned one third share of the Manor

1569

Henry dies and Thomas Brougham takes ownership of one third of the Hall

1608

Thomas dies leaving his third to his wife Agnes.

 

On Agnes’s death the share passes to Elizabeth, Thomas’s married sister. She had married William Hudson.

1611

Elizabeth sells her share to Rowland Hodgson of Surrey, husband of her youngest sister, Katherine.

 

Hodgson sells his share to local farmer, William Wright.

 

On William’s death it passes to his son Alexander Wright.

1650

Alexander sells his share to James Browne of Martindale

1654

James Browne sells his share to Lady Anne Clifford

Before 1676

Sometime before 1676 James Bird had bought the Crackenthorpe’s share of Brougham Hall giving him two thirds ownership. As Steward for Lady Anne Clifford he also looked after her third share.

1676

Lady Anne Clifford dies and James Bird buys the last third of Brougham Hall from her grandson, Lord Tufton. James Bird is now the entire owner of Brougham Manor, the first time since the de Burghams, back in 1272. At some point the Hall becomes known as Hill House. It is during Bird’s ownership that much building work is initiated.

1714

Thomas Carleton becomes the new owner on the death of his Father in law, James Bird.

 

1726

John Brougham of Scales, Commissioner, pays £5000 for Brougham Hall and Estate.

1741

On the death of Commissioner John Brougham, Henry Richmond Brougham, is the benefactor of most of his wealth and is the new owner of Brougham Hall.

 

1749

John Brougham of Scales acquired the Hall due to it being entailed to him in the will of Commissioner Brougham – had it not been for this, the Hall would have gone outside the Brougham family due to the family hatred of Henry Richmond Brougham who left the remainder of his non entailed estate to a non family member.

 

1756

Following John’s death Brougham Hall went to his brother, Henry Brougham.

1768

Henry Brougham the elder transferred Brougham Hall to his son, Henry Brougham.

1810

Lord Henry Peter Brougham, but it was his younger brother William who he entrusted to manager the Hall for him. It was William who did much of the last renovation and building works on the Hall.

 

1868

 

Lord William Brougham,

1886

Henry Charles, 3rd Lord Brougham. He loved the Hall and presided over a period of important guests including Edward VII in 1905.

 

1927

Victor Henry Peter, 4th Lord Brougham. Acquired the Hall at a young age. Over a short period of time he sold the contents and eventually the Hall itself to pay off his mounting gambling and social debts.

 

1934

Major Geoffrey Thomas Middleton Carleton Cowper bought it from Victor Henry Peter. It was the Major who stripped and demolished the main Hall buildings.

 

1948

Evans Bellhouse, a London Company, bought the Hall with an interest in the forestry elements of the estate

1967

Beacon Builders Ltd bought the Hall and land as they intended to demolish and build new houses.

1986

Brougham Hall Charitable Trust foundered by Christopher Terry and bought the Hall for one peppercorn. Under Christopher Terry’s leadership the Hall is being steadily renovated to its former glory.

 

Make a Free Website with Yola.